Friday, July 26, 2013

Historical Markers and Deer Feeders

I checked out of the Midland Hilton this morning at 7:30. I fueled up with unleaded, dark roast, and three 3 liters of Ozarka and started my long trip home. I decided to take a route to Interstate 10 that I did not drive in on Sunday. I am so glad I made that choice. Part of the reason why I choose a new route is to "pump" myself up about seeing a new and different scenery. After about an hour drive south of Midland, I noticed plateaus and mesa formations on the horizon and also began seeing more elevation changes along the way. Soon I found myself in what I have always imagined what the "desert" was like. And....

It.
Was.
Amazing.

The expanse across the valleys from one plateau to the other reminded me of Alaska. For those of us who live in south east Texas, we are familiar with a fence line to fence line or tree line to tree line way of life. As in how far and what you see in the distance. West Texas... you see for miles and miles! The road into Iraan traveled along the base of one plateau ridge line and around each bend, a new view appeared that would make you want to stop and take pictures. Which is part of the reason why it took me an extra 3 hours to make it home haha!

 
 
 
 
 

I told myself that I was going to take my time getting home today and enjoy the drive. So I kinda stopped to investigate very historical marker I came across. Now, I am so much more knowledgeable about west Texas history than I was yesterday! I saw some really interesting places. I crossed the Pecos River and learned about the expedition to find a safe crossing for the army in the mid 1800s. In Iraan I stopped at the very first oil well that struck the good stuff in west Texas. And i learned about the Government Road, which might of been my favorite place I visited to today.

 
 
 
 So when I was in Iraan, I "checked-in" on the ol Facebook. Short while later, my friend Brian Center commented/joked on my check-in about picking up a deer feeder for him in a small town south of I-10. Suuuurrrreee Brian! It just allowed me more time to explore and see! So, I got directions, drove to Sheffield, found the ranch road, unlocked the gate and cruised on into his old deer lease in Sheffield, TX. After locating his feeder, loading it into the back of the Chevy, strapping it down, and getting back off the lease, I had burned about 45 minutes. Not to shabby! While staring at the road in front of me after pulling out from the ranch road, I had a choice to make. Turn left, go back the way I had just came and jump onto I-10. Turn right, see how far that rabbit hole would go (Matrix reference. *there were no red or blue pills taken at any point during this trip. No animals were harmed either)

My right turn was the right call. I kept thinking of the movie Cars when driving this expanse of road. Just like Radiator Springs in Cars, Sheffield had been bypassed by the interstate and there was about a 35 mile section of highway that really wasn't used anymore. But damn, was it a awesome drive! I crossed the Pecos River (for the second time) and soon passed by the State of Texas Historical Site- Ft Lancaster. The fort was in operation in the 1800s and the state has kept it historically accurate as to how things were during that time. The 35 mile stretch of road that was not used that much anymore was actually a trail used during the fort's hay day. The supply line began from Indianola (present day Port O'Connor) to Ft. Lancaster and all the forts in west Texas. It was known as the "Government Road" to the army in the 1800s. I learned this tid-bit of info from a historical marker that was at a scenic picnic area on top of a plateau ridge that required some switchbacks, blind curves, and steep drop offs that was above and overlooking the valley I had just driven through.

So all in all, it was a great trip. Seeing new places and things and meeting new people always gets me going! Throw in an awesome drive and a little free knowledge to boot.... equals a success in my book. Can't wait until the next trip!











No comments:

Post a Comment