Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Asphalt and a Best Seller

As you know, I am in Midland Texas for a week of work. I left my parents house Sunday morning for a trek across the great state of Texas. With the "Chevy tuned up like a NASCAR pit stop", I pointed her west and set off to a part of the state I have never seen before. Along the way I managed to snap a few photos to capture my westward expansion. So it was on to I-10, passed by Buc-ees in Luling, through San Antoine, up through Kerrville, the home of Johnny "Football", passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly, twirly, gumdrops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel.
 
 
 
 
 
No but really (if you didn't catch the Elf reference), I now understand what all the fuss is about with Texas Hill Country. The drive was beautiful. Every bend in the road seemingly brought a new awesome view across limestone littered canyons, ravines and across wide expanses with vista plateaus on the horizon. I honestly wished I was on horseback and a six-shooter by my side looking for injuns in the cliffs and rattlesnakes on the trail!
...Back to reality, It really was a great drive. I wish I had taken the opportunity to stop at some of the scenic pull-offs and taken some more photos. It was a beautiful day for cruisin' on a Sunday! Loved the 80 mph speed limits!





About 75 miles south of Midland, I had to pass through the vast metropolis of Big Lake, Texas. Big Lake is home of the fightin' Owls. It is also the former home of MLB Pitcher Jimmy Morris. Jimmy was the focus of the 2002 Disney movie, The Rookie, in which Big Lake was a major setting for the movie. It was really cool to say I've been through this small, now famous, west Texas town.

 



After my seven and half hour drive, I reached Midland. I checked into my hotel and immediately executed a perfect, professional face plant into my bed. I laid there for a few moments but realized the sun was going to still be up for a few more hours. There was a brand new place for me to explore! To hell with just laying in bed and wasting daylight! I jumped up, grabbed my keys and Costas and hit the road once more. 

Before I even left the hotel, I knew immediately where I was going. Only twenty short miles away from Midland is one of the most storied high school football programs, not only in the state, but the entire nation: Permian High School. Home of the Permian Panthers and MOJO. Permian was the focus point of Friday Night Lights, a best-selling book written by H.G. Bissinger. As you probably know, the book inspired a movie and a TV series. Bissinger's book managed to successfully capture the town, its people, and the mad culture that surrounds Texas high school football and is one of the best sports books ever written.

  As the son of a Texas high school football coach and a Texas high school cheerleader sponsor, the sport has played such an important part in my family and my life, so there was no way I was going to miss the chance of seeing the home of MOJO! I really wish that Mom, Dad, Molly, and David had been there to see it with me!


 
 
 

Ratliff Stadium. Hallowed ground. Home of the Panthers and is ranked as one of the top 10 sports facilities in the nation by USA Today. Come autumn and football season, Friday evenings will find 20,000 passionate fans filling the seats to support MOJO, which is the rallying cry and has come to be a second mascot for the school. Ask any football fan- anywhere- what MOJO is and they will most likely know about Permian football. She sure is elegant and beautiful in the soft glow of the west Texas setting sun. I think she almost looks a little anxious to get the new season underway.

 
 


And speaking of the setting west Texas sun, I caught this gem. My first west Texas sunset. I pulled over and stepped out of my truck. As the pump jacks were working and the dry warm breeze blowing, I managed to catch this photo with the suns rays shining through the clouds. The only thing that would of made this any more "Texas" would of been a ice cold Lone Star in my hand. Texas forever....

 



Couldn't sign off this post without including a photo of the classic icon of the west, the majestic Tumbleweed!

1 comment: