Thursday, July 25, 2013

Its Not Always About the Catching

Well, I knew it.
I knew it wouldn't take long for me to write something about one of the biggest loves of my life. People who know anything about me know that I have a passion, almost obsession if you will, with fishing.  For a lot of people, fishing is just spending some free time and doing something in the great outdoors. They see going fishing as something to do when camping, on vacation, or even at an attempt at reconnecting with their childhood. But for myself, its is much deeper than that. Its part of my soul. It's also one of the most difficult things for me to explain. I do not have enough time this evening to even begin to introduce what fishing means to me but I can give a little insight as to how it first got into my blood. 

Thank you, Dad.
My father is my best friend. Since the time I was old enough to go with him, Dad was taking me fishing. My earliest fishing memories I can recall was with him in Rockport, Texas and and around Kenedy, Texas. I must of been about 3 or 4 years old when he would take me to stock tanks to catch bass. Hell, I can even remember what type of lure we were throwing, a Rebel crankbait- brown/orange crawfish pattern! I think I was around 5 when he strapped a life jacket on me and took me wade fishing in Rockport! I don't remember if we caught anything but he had me hooked (pun or no pun, its up to you)! Whether it was spending time together in a stream in Whitefish, Montana, ice fishing in Alaska, team bass tournaments in east Texas, or wade fishing down on the Lower Laguna Madre, I was spending time with my best friend. That in itself is why fishing is so important in my life.

DAMN GINA!!! Just look at those shorts!
 
 
 
 
Best buds!
 
 
 
 
In February 2010 my father and I picked up our brand new and very first bay boat. Transport Boats in Palacios, Texas custom built us a 21' Transport XLR8 LS with a 175hp Suzuki outboard. She was absolutely beautiful! Later that spring, we found out that my grandfather had been diagnosed with cancer. During that summer, in between his treatments, we would load him up in the boat and run off to do a little fishing. The time spent with my dad and grandfather during those trips will last me forever. Sure, we caught a few fish but there is one thing that I have learned in all the years of fishing... It's not always about the catching. The time we spent together doing what we loved was so very precious and provided us wonderful memories. That August, my grandfather passed away. The last time I spent with him was fishing on our boat and I feel so very blessed that fishing enabled us to spend those special moments together.
 
 
 
My grandfather- July 2010


 
 
 
 
Showing my brother n law the ropes! David did good!! Just a few more memories with the boat.


 



As of this week, dad and I decided to put the boat on the market. It has been difficult thinking about never setting foot on her again but everything in life changes and everything must come to an end. BUT, don't you think we will go boat less for long! We are going back to our "roots" so to speak. For as long as I can remember, dad has always wanted a Ranger bass boat. So, upon the sell of the bay boat, and mom already said yes (haha!), we will be ordering a brand new Ranger Comanche z521. It has already been a lot of fun spending time with dad talking about color options, electronics, motors, and all the other bells and whistles! Bitter sweet closing one chapter and yet opening another. Yet I'm already excited to spend more time fishing with my best friend in our new boat.


Here is a little preview to what we are looking to be fishing out of in the near future!

1 comment:

  1. Now a day it has become very popular for all type of people. Everyone like it. I think it will be the most popular for mall shortly. Really I like it most. Yacht Shipping.

    ReplyDelete